Sausage and Leek Casserole Recipe
You can serve this sausage and leek casserole recipe with mashed potatoes or mashed carrot and turnip and these can easily be prepared once the casserole is in the oven. However, as I’m a big fan of one-pot-cooking (less washing up!), I’ve just added a few new potatoes to the casserole.
You can leave the casserole in the oven for longer if you wish – up to about an hour and a half would be fine.
If you’re after a delicious winter warming meal for four and you’re on a tight budget, this will work out at under £5.
- 8 Sausages
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1-2 leeks
- 1 onion
- 1tsp minced garlic
- 250ml / 1/2 pint vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Slice the leeks, discarding the root end and the dark green part
- Peel and slice the onion
- In a large frying pan, or skillet, heat the olive oil
- Add the leek and onion and cook until soft
- Add the minced garlic and stir
- Cook for a further minute
- Place the leek and onion in the casserole
- Place the sausages in the frying pan and cook for a few minutes until brown on the outside
- Place in the casserole on the bed of leeks & onion
- If you’re doing the one-pot thing, add your new potatoes
- Mix the herbs and tomato purée into the stock
- Pour the stock over the sausages in the casserole
- Cover and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes
- If you’re having separate vegetables, now’s the time to prepare & cook them.