Makes one litre of plant-based alternative to yogurt strawberry ice cream.
Preparation Time: 30 mins plus refrigeration and cooling time.
- 4 egg yolks
- 55g/2oz caster sugar
- 250ml Alpro Soya Single plant-based alternative to single cream
- 250ml Alpro Soya Light plant-based alternative to milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- 125ml of Alpro Soya Simply Plain plant-based alternative to yogurt
- Combine yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk well.
- Heat the Alpro Soya Single plant-based alternative to cream, Alpro Soya Light plant-based alternative to milk, vanilla pod and seeds in a small saucepan.
- Pour the hot cream over the yolk mixture and whisk to combine. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook very gently until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Refrigerate, covered, until completely cold.
- Make the strawberry puree by blending the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice until smooth; push through a fine sieve to get rid of the seeds.
- When the cream mixture is completely cold, fold in the Alpro Soya Simply Plain plant-based alternative to yogurt and transfer to an ice cream machine. Churn according to the manufacturer’s directions until thick and frozen. Quickly fold in the strawberry puree to give a swirl and transfer to a freezer proof container. Freeze until firm.
- If you do not have an ice cream machine then pour the mixture into a shallow plastic container and freeze for 2 hours until starting to freeze. Beat with an electric mixer or process in a food processor until smooth again; re-freeze until almost firm; beat again. Repeat this process 3 times until you have a smooth thick ice cream. Fold in the strawberry puree as with the ice cream machine.